FREE MINDS FOR THE MIDDLE EAST

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

In tomorrow's (Thursday) Daily Star I look back on Christopher Hitchens' shift from left to right on Afghanistan and Iraq, and determine that all this time he has, in fact, remained a radical--in stark contrast to his liberal critics who somehow think that the overthrow of a tyranny by the U.S. is in and of itself tyrannical.

One of my points is to show the bankruptcy of the left's critique of the Iraq war, and I cite this article by one Ammiel Alcalay in Al-Ahram Weekly. I will link my comment tomorrow, but in the meantime read Alcalay's genuinely pathetic, confusing, contradictory and, let's not beat around the bush, mediocre article. Incidentally, he teaches in New York, where, I'm sure, he imagines himself a dissident.

No comments: